I launched a collective Spooky City set for Halloween and Anxiety Wizard edited it and used it to post a introduction to his City Generator Kit.
I made a video where I generate a Spooky City using the set: Generating a Spooky City!
Here is the cleaned up map:
As a experiment I zoomed in a district and applied the landmark rules to create neighborhoods (this is how I generated the secondary streets). To color the neighborhoods I mixed the district theme with the themes of entries I rolled on the districts table. A other possibility would have been to roll random encounters for each neighborhoods to color them.
Friday, October 25, 2019
This was written with B/X, S&W or Labyrinth Lord in mind.
XP/level are awarded for the level of the fallen character. Level 0 character are considered level 1/2.
- Bringing back the corpse of a fallen comrade or follower: 200 xp/level
- Mounting a expedition to retrieve back their corpse: 500 xp/level (awarded when reaching the corpse, cumulative with bringing back their corpse).
- Being the ones who haul back the corpse: 10% of the total reward of the session.
- Bringing back their meaningful items and bequeathing them to their relatives or love ones: 50 xp/level for each item. (x2 for magical items, x5 for powerful items)
- Marking their place of death: 50 xp/level
- Slaying the monster that killed them: monster XP worth x2.
- Slaying their undead form (if any): monster XP worth x2.
- Forgiving their killer if it was a accident or a misunderstanding by becoming their ally: 200 xp/level.
- Proper funeral and burial in their hometown: 100 xp/level (need to spend as much gold)
- Carousing in their honor: 50 xp/level by night of carousing (need to spend as much gold) or +25% to the carousing XP award if you use a carousing system.
- Funeral and carousing XP are worth half without the corpse.
So if the group mount a expedition to bring back the body of their level 5 comrade:
2500 xp for retrieving the corpse + 1000 xp for bringing it back + 250 xp for giving their blade to their son and +250 xp for giving their helm to their daughter, +250 xp for marking their place of death, +500 xp for a hometown burial, +750 xp and a big headache for 3 nights of carousing. For a total of 5500 XP for the group.
When the group is mounting a expedition to retrieve the body of a fallen comrade or a hero, there is a 1 chance on a d6 by dungeon level that the dungeon influence spread to their corpse. (By dungeon level, I mean the deeper into the dungeon). To be able to prep the encounter roll when the group decide to form the expedition but keep the result secret.
If the dungeon influence spread over the corpse, roll a d20 to determine what happened:
- The corpse have been perfectly conserved, bringing it back will grant a blessing.
- The corpse vanished but one of their meaningful items remain behind as a magical item.
- Their ghost will help the group to retrieve their corpse.
- Their angry ghost haunt their place of death, blaming themself or their group for their death.
- Local creatures moved the corpse for a purpose of their own.
- Vegetation, moss, or mushrooms protect the corpse.
- A mimic consumed the corpse and absorbed their memory, they now believe to be the fallen person. They are helpful but they can sometime try to eat people and not remember the incident.
- The dungeon formed a shrine or tomb around the corpse, resting there grant a boon or blessing, taking back the corpse trigger a magical curse or trap.
- They have risen as a mindless undead that have as many HD as their level.
- They have risen as a sentient undead obsessed with unfinished business.
- The corpse have been desecrated, consumed or mutilated and can not be brought back in it entirety. Bringing back their bones give half the xp.
- The corpse have been looted, local creatures or scavengers keep their meaningful items.
- When the corpse is retrieved, their ghost will help the group until their corpse is brought back home or buried.
- A dangerous worm or insect creature nested in their corpse.
- Their undead corpse will walk back home with the group, complaining about everything along the way. Once they arrive back home, their spirit will thanks and compliment the group then leave their corpse.
- Their corpse fused with the dungeon and became a "special" feature that grant boons and curses like a magical pool.
- Their ghost befriended a fellow ghost and ask the group to also recover their friend's corpse.
- Their corpse is encased in a armor grew from the dungeon itself and is now a dangerous golem. The corpse remain intact inside the armor.
- They have been brought back to live, they reroll their HP, they are now cursed with the ability of seeing the tormented spirits of the deaths. They are waiting for the group at their place of death, harrowed by ghosts. Maybe something in the dungeon can quiet the ghosts.
- They have been reincarnated as a young level 01 PNJ of a different appearance or gender, they keep their old stats but are now wiser and gain +2 to their WIS and gain a bonus of +4 to save against death. They are waiting for the group at their place of death. They may have learned something about the dungeon or gained a special insight.
Thursday, October 24, 2019
My blog is all dusty, I have multiple near finished blog posts but I never find the energy or the focus to finish them. I recently quit Twitter so this will maybe help me to post back again. It is not easy to exist in multiple virtual spaces, I am trying to post on instagram, facebook (for my non gaming friends), my patreon, on multiple discords and to publish videos on youtube, to stream a bit and to records episodes of my podcast. I guess that this is not much for some people but I often feel like I am too dispersed. Oh and I forgot that I am also trying to work on zines that I seem to never be able to finish. Shit, just before I transitioned I published around 5 zines on lulu, now nothing... -_-
Hopefully I will post back soon in the Cauldron. <3
Hopefully I will post back soon in the Cauldron. <3