So here is a repost of what I remember.
The idea was to setup a non grim-misery-crawl OSR campaign. I mostly got inspired by the post "Playing Cute" on Gloomtrain.
- Most of the characters are elven firefighters (fighter-mages) apprentices who wield water and vegetation based spells. They are level 01 trainees.
- The campaign start after their graduation but something happen and the firefighter veterans are cursed into a eternal sleep or are somehow magically disabled.
- The safety of the forest now rest on the shoulders of those newbies PCs.
- The characters have access to some of the artifacts of the firefighter guild, but they have to learn how to unlock their potential.
- XP is awarded for doing firefighter stuff.
- The sandbox is build around the forest and it inhabitants.
- The elves have a firefighter treaty with the other forest dwelling races, including the chaotic races like the Bullywug. The newbie firefighters will also have to keep the respect of those races to avoid losing their help.
- To add variety, some replacement or backup characters can be from the races that honor the firefighter treaty. It is often a political move for those races to send away a annoying member of their specie on firefighting duty to get rid of him or her.
- For exemple this bullywug moss shaman who can summon moss spirits.
- Most of the monsters encountered need help with some fire based menace or incident.
- Like a troll that was stupid enough to eat something on fire. Now he can't contain the fire in it regenerating fire belly. He is afraid to set the fire of the forest but he dont dare to speak because he fear belching fire out of his mouth. So he get in a lot of trouble and incidents. Simply killing the troll is a solution but there is a big risk that he will explode and set up more fire!
- So the players have to find inventive solution to deal with the fire based menaces and monsters.
- As the character level up, the campaign escalade with the apparition of the Dark Fire. A corrupting fire that twist what it burn into monsters.
- For exemple a dark fire treant, who is angry and resentful of the firefighters for failing at their duty and letting him burn. The fire treant become a dark fire king that try to spread the fire in the forest.
- Defeating some of the big monsters should also bring some hope and a opportunity for reconstruction.
- Like when the dark fire treant die, if you open it bark you can find a Embers Dryad. If well nurtured this dryad can use her power to help the vegetation regrow after a fire, she can also sense the dark fire and travel between burning trees. Maybe she also have some limited fire control power. People dont trust her but she could be a new replacement character.