Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Vornheim Campaign Report, session 16

The group finished exploring the graveyard of the great worms. They ran away from a dying great worm and we had some fun with the worm madness inducing maggots crawling out of the random encounters zombies.

But the group was mostly level 3 and even if the dungeon was listed for level 1 to 3, I should have added more challenge. In the end the group realized that even if they earned a ok number XP, now being level 3 they need to find greater challenges and to take more risk if they want to reach higher levels. 


I admit that I am starting to get dungeons (or sandbox?) fatigue. I have the feeling that I need to step up the campaign or to take it in a new direction to keep it challenging and interesting (or to provide clearer opportunity for the players to do it). We discussed this a little bit, but I still have to think about all this. And lately I am also tempted by other games, especially sci-fi games. 

So to keep the campaign interesting I am thinking about a two options (for now):
- Have a big event happen in the city to level up things and to have a big clear goal. 
or 
- Open doors toward adventures outside the city or maybe even toward a other worlds to play expedition type adventures.  

I am starting to think that XP reward for goals like in Stars Without Numbers work better for city crawl. I LOVE XP for Gold, but maybe it work best with expedition type of adventures. 

2 comments:

  1. This blog is great! Why not do XP for gold and for goals? This lets the players decide what they want the focus to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point, yes I think we would have talked about those options together. But some players were not available anymore, I think that this was our last session.

    ReplyDelete