I think that I will write down some setups to maybe rework them later (and complement them with random tables to roll on).
1) Establish a city and give it a colorful title.
2) The city prosper through 3 sources of power.
4) Give the city a major landmark.
5) Establish a city benefactor, a respected and active public figure that move things and have the city well being at hearth. Link his or her background with a source of power.
6) Now establish a external or neighboring rival faction (or entity) that have secretly taken over the city.
7) The rival faction have taken over the city's sources of powers:
9) Establish a aggressive investor that ruthlessly invest in the city development to make huge profits. Give him a gift from the rival faction that give him a unfair business advantage. This investor is not a member of the conspiracy, the conspiracy just profit from his actions (for now).
10) Place in a corrupt captain in charge of the elite city guard.
11) Place in a incompetent or blind captain in charge of the city or night watch.
12) Disgrace, imprison or hide the old captain of the elite city guard.
13) Destroy or sabotage the accomplishments of the city benefactor. He or she know that something is wrong.
14) Establish a underground neutral source of power. This source of power is not working for or against the conspiracy. Link it with a source of power that it fear or own a debt to.
15) Establish a neighboring settlement that resent the new city directions.
16) Establish a neighboring settlement that profit from the new city direction.
17) Establish a neighboring settlement that remain neutral about the new city direction.
18) Roll a d6 & d4 to find the goal of each NPC or faction:
- To destroy, ruin or shame a...
- To control, own or buy a...
- To influence, corrupt or transform a...
- To help, advantage or make stronger a...
- To free, protect or restore a hindered or lost...
- To create or find a new...
- ... source of power
- ... major NPC
- ... faction or group
- ... strategic or important city activity.