Monday, April 2, 2012

LotFP, session 05

Session 05 was not easy to run. We had to connect Vital's solo session time line with the party actual time line. So this was distracting and confusing. Also there was the fact that my preparation was all about the possible adventure location destinations and not the in-between activities.

Since session 04 was all about resource management, travel and doing things in towns, the group was eager to reach a dungeon location and rushed ahead. I clumsily handled some situations and the player who play Vital was frustrated by the group desire to rush things. End result: we took the entire session to reach the town close to the dungeon location (while also doing things in town). A very frustrating and discouraging session for all of us.

Beside the stuff I clumsily handled, our problem is the way our setting is set we only care about the dungeon locations and when the group is not in a dungeon everything feel like boring obstacles dragging us down and keeping us from reaching what really interest us.

This is frustrating to the point that we are asking ourselves if we should reset the campaign to start with a new setup.

Our setup right now:
We have a large sandbox composed of civilized lands with isolated weird locations set far away from civilization.

For now this have those consequences (that I can identify):
1) The group have to move a lot between towns and have no real home base and nothing to care about out of the dungeons. Everything in the sandbox feel too scattered. It hard to build on established things.
2) The weird is separated from the civilization, so when we play in towns we are separated from what interest us in LotFP: the weird.
3) The civilization and the weird don't interact or influence each others. The adventures have no consequences or influence on the setting and on what the characters could maybe care about.
4) If something "adventurous" randomly happen away from the dungeons in civilized lands, we are not tempted to engage or to explore it because it gonna be mundane in nature. We all just want to quickly resolve it.

So gaming out of the dungeon is just not interesting because nothing engage us there.
But at the same time just skipping everything to start at the dungeon's doors don't seem satisfying.

I have a hard time figuring out how to create and to handle a good gameable LotFP campaign setup while considering what work well for old school adventuring and what work well for the horror/gothic/weird fantasy genre.

LotFP is starting to burn me out a little (well not the game, but my campaign). I have a blast being the referee when I run the dungeons, but I have a really hard time running the campaign itself. I have up to wednesday to think about how I will handle things, but right now I just don't know. If I don't find a fun way to play the campaign, I think that I will drop the game and let someone else be the referee for a time.

2 comments:

  1. Based on your previous campaign reports, you should keep on with the campaign.
    I am planning myself to set the LotFP adventures in a "post-civilisation" world -- there was a great civilised empire but it fell due to a combination of internal strife and barbarian assault. So the cities and the towns are still civilised and patrolled, but adventuring in the wilderness is very dangerous: monsters, bandits, barbarians, unemployed soldiers ("routiers")...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes but I have discovered that the issue is that encountering those mundane encounters is not interesting if they are not linked to a source of Weird. If they are just mundane obstacles linked to a mundane menace they are just keeping you away from what you are playing for.

    ReplyDelete